Re: The basics of reverse engineering

Thank you for this wonderful guide. (:

Last Online
    04-11-2014 @ 03:23 PM
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [MOP]Nessy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bytes4bread View Post
    This is not a reverse engineering tutorial. It's an assembly tutorial, and there is nothing nice about it.
    Well to know how to reverse you need to know this, also there is no "tut" on how to reverse. And also there is no need to call it "not nice" considering your limit is just hacking private servers, which require no skill.
    You're wrong, there are a number of guides to reverse engineering. There is an entire [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] of 600 pages dedicated to that subject alone. Assembly knowledge is prerequisite, but that's besides the point I had originally made. If your intent is to learn assembly I would suggest learning from Intel's Architectural software developer's manuals, not from the half way copy-pasted post that's on here.(Although judging by your attitude that must have been where you learned from). That is my suggestion however it is quite an intense read and very few people on this forums would even bother looking into it. Last thing, If we must decide skill level based something irrelevant like what we've released on this forum for the game Gunz Online then I conclude that I am much more experienced then you are in terms of both programming and reverse engineering.
    Last edited by bytes4bread; 01-26-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 12:10 AM
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [MOP]Nessy View Post
    This is not a reverse engineering tutorial. It's an assembly tutorial, and there is nothing nice about it.
    Well to know how to reverse you need to know this, also there is no "tut" on how to reverse. And also there is no need to call it "not nice" considering your limit is just hacking private servers, which require no skill.
    You're wrong, there are a number of guides to reverse engineering. There is an entire [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] of 600 pages dedicated to that subject alone. Assembly knowledge is prerequisite, but that's besides the point I had originally made. If your intent is to learn assembly I would suggest learning from Intel's Architectural software developer's manuals, not from the half way copy-pasted post that's on here.(Although judging by your attitude that must have been where you learned from). That is my suggestion however it is quite an intense read and very few people on this forums would even bother looking into it. Last thing, If we must decide skill level based something irrelevant like what we've released on this forum for the game Gunz Online then I conclude that I am much more experienced then you are in terms of both programming and reverse engineering.
    Lol, the only reason i raged at you was because you really do not have rights to come in here and say shit about this individual. He wants to contribute, let him. And k assume what u need.
    Need any help? Feel free to PM me

Last Online
    10-26-2012 @ 01:56 PM
    Thanks

ty for the write up man

Banned
    Last Online
    02-17-2013 @ 08:45 AM
    Thanks

Nice tutorial...

Lurker
    Last Online
    03-20-2012 @ 05:28 AM
    Thanks

just want to say, for MIPS architecture,

Word = 8 bytes (32 bits)
    while
    Half Word = 4 bytes (16 bits)

Instruction are normally stored in word and conform to word boundaries(meaning the difference between one word to another is 4 instead of 1 'spacing')
    char usually is 1 byte,register address are 32 bits, immediate for I-format instructions are 16 bit and J format can go on to 26 bits if i'm not mistaken.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2