A Guide to Balanar,The Night Stalker

Balanar - The Night Stalker
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Range: 100 | | Move Speed: 295 | Primary: STR
    Str: 23 + 2.8 | Agi: 18 + 2.25 | Int: 16 + 1.25
    Damage: 47 - 51 | HP: 587 | Mana: 208
    HP Regen: 0.94 | Mana Regen: 0.65
    Attack Speed: 1.39 (+ 18% IAS) | Armor: 3.5

Balanar was one of the elite Dreadlords before the Burning Legion fell. Now with the Burning Legion gone, he lives his life attacking villages and ambushing his most hated enemy - the Night Elves. He draws upon his power from the moon, thus he is much stronger at night. Balanar can also use his control over time to
    change the time to night that further strengthens his power. His presence inspires fear into the heart of many.

Void
    Creates a damaging void. If cast at night, slows the target for 4 seconds.

Level 1 - Deals 90 damage.
    Level 2 - Deals 160 damage.
    Level 3 - Deals 255 damage.
    Level 4 - Deals 335 damage.
    Mana Cost: 90/ 112/ 130/ 145
    Cooldown: 7

Balanar's only nuke, it is very good though, because for a relatively low mana cost on a strength hero, he gets a nuke that slows for 50% movement speed at night for four seconds! Never fear about using this in the daytime, because it will still do great damage, especially to int/agi heroes.

Crippling Fear
    In the night, the Night Stalker can cause intense fear in enemy units, causing them to miss attacks and be unable to cast spells.

Level 1 - Miss on 10% of attacks, slow by 4%. Lasts 5 seconds.
    Level 2 - Miss on 20% of attacks, slow by 8%. Lasts 6 seconds.
    Level 3 - Miss on 30% of attacks, slow by 12%. Lasts 7 seconds.
    Level 4 - Miss on 40% of attacks, slow by 16%. Lasts 8 seconds.
    Mana Cost: 125
    Cooldown: 11duration

This is just amazing for taking out casters late-game where you only need that 8 seconds to demolish them. Can be great for saving yourself too sometimes.

Hunter in the Night(passive)
    The Night Stalker is at home at night. He attacks and moves more swiftly.

Level 1 - 15% movement speed, 20% attack speed.
    Level 2 - 20% movement speed, 35% attack speed.
    Level 3 - 30% movement speed, 55% attack speed.
    Level 4 - 35% movement speed, 75% attack speed.
    Mana Cost: N/A
    Cooldown: N/A

The most powerful skill Balanar has. It's extremely important that you get this because it makes him such a better farmer!

Darkness
    Freezes the time and create a period of Darkness for the Night Stalker to thrive in.

Level 1 - Create darkness for 25 second night.
    Level 2 - Create darkness for 50 seconds.
    Level 3 - Create darkness for 80 seconds.
    Mana Cost: N/A
    Cooldown: 234/ 204/ 174

This ultimate is the bling-bling! Darkness can save Balanar from almost certain death, because with Boots of Speed and level 4 Hunter in the Night, almost no heroes can catch you. This is a very scary skill to int/agil heroes, and if you have been consistently in their lane, they will start running whether they see you or not

Item Build (1)-Normal Build
    1. Ring of Health
    2. Void Stone
    3. Perseverence
    4. Boots of Speed
    5. Gloves of Haste
    6. Power Treads Scroll
    7. Power Treads
    8. Mithril Hammer
    9. Claymore
    10. Battlefury
    11. Broadsword
    12. Blades of Attack
    13. Crystalis Scroll
    14. Crystalis
    15. Demon Edge
    16. Burize Scroll
    17. Burize Do Kyanon
    18. Mithril Hammer
    19. Gauntlets of Strength
    20. Cranium Basher Scroll
    21. Cranium Basher

Ring of Health is saved up for at the start because you need it on the way to Battlefury, getting Void Stone after BoS is fine if you were forced to fountain or died, but Void before BoS would be preferable. Power Treads are to help you farm during the day, because it's not good being a great creeper only 50% of the time. With Battlefury you become a creep owner almost all the time! With Balanar's great IAS you can own huge creep waves with ease. Finally with Burize you are insane, the crits make you able to take on creep waves with 30+ creeps with ease. Late game you are crit'ing for about 600-1000, this put into the cleaving attack makes huge AoE damage! I get Cranium Basher after Burize because there's not much use for me to get the Basher when I'm not doing huge damage where the bash will benefit me that much.
    From here you can go onto other things like selling Treads for BoT/MKB, a Skadi, or a Satanic, I personally prefer Satanic because it makes you even more stronger vs massive creep waves. BoT/MKB is a little costly but if you can get it it's worth it to get to those creep waves you didnt see or the pushes you missed.
    Note: Before you post your different item build with Balanar, try mine out first. There is a very good reason that I get these items in the order that I do, so try this item build out first.You can alternate between the items to suit the situation you're facing.This build,and I repeat,this build isnt made to be perfect.You have got to think generally about your enemies,what items they have,what skills they have and practically a whole lot more.So,think and analyse.

Item Build (2)-Against lots of casters
    1)Ring of Regeneration
    2)Boots of Speed + Gloves of Haste + Power Threads Scroll = Power Threads
    3)Ogre Axe + Broadsword + Black King Bar Scroll = Black King Bar
    4)Mithril Hammer + Gauntlets of Strength + Cranium Basher Scroll = Cranium Basher
    5)Mithril Hammer + Gauntlets of Strength + Cranium Basher Scroll = Cranium Basher
    6)Heart of Tarasque or Satanic
    7)Mask of Death + Mask of Madness Scroll = Mask of Madness

Well,for this build,its genuinely when facing lots of casters such as lion and rhasta teaming up together.Why bashers?Since you're facing casters which may put you in danger,your BKB would only last for around 15 seconds(Not sure about this,correct me if I am wrong)What if it ends sooner than you think?Well,basher would help alot.The enemy would not be able to run and just stay still there.That would increase the number of hits you'll be hitting.Adding your attack speed,it will even increase the chance of stunning an enemy.This build is strictly aiming for hero kills to make sure they are not able to combine forces and doing their combo.For you to farm all this items out,you would have to be good at farming and stay low.Go for every last hit on a creep and start hunting when its night.Beware of backstabs.Getting a Mask of Death wouldnt be bad idea.You can get it anytime you want provided that it suits the situation.

Leveling and General Play (for Item Build (1)-Normal Build)

Levels 1-6
    As per any normal melee hero, just stay back and try to get a couple of creep kills, don't try to sacrifice loads to get a creep kill because at this point you have no hp regen, but still go for a kill if you can because you only need about 300 gold to get to RoH.

Skills:
    Level 1: Void
    Level 2: Hunter
    Level 3: Void
    Level 4: Hunter
    Level 5: Hunter/Void
    Level 6: Hunter/Void/

By level 6 it will hopefully be night, if not just slightly modify the selections.

Levels 7-11
    Around 3/4 to all of this time should be at night! Use this window of opportunity wisely because if you screw this up it will affect the game more than anywhere else. Use Void to scare other heroes back to the fountain as much as possible, and maybe even get a lucky kill, but don't count on it. Level 4 Hunter in the Night will give you insane attack speed, so I hope you can get Perseverence, Treads, and possibly even Hammer or Claymore by the end of this period. What you want to do during this period is to kill as much as possible. You're probably whom every enemy will watch out for, so plan your backstab well. Be patient, don't rush. Wait for the right time and ambush the enemy. The first night is always the most important night. Like I said earlier, it will determine your game play in the end. Aim for as many kills as possible. The minimum kills you should have is roughly around 3.

Level 7: Hunter
    Level 8: Void
    Level 9: Darkness
    Level 10: Fear
    Level 11: Darkness

Yay maxed out Hunter and Void, you are now da man! You will be hopefully screwing around with the enemy's head by now with nukes and consistent harassment. Remember to use Darkness semi-often, especially if it will send them back to fountain, it has a medium cooldown for ultimates, and you'll get to use it about 2-3 times during the day if you use it as often as possible.

Levels 12-16
    You'll be a great addition to the team by now I'd hope, with your awesome disabling skills and ability to stop creep waves with ease, by level 16 you should be around a quarter to a half of the way to getting a Burize, which will make you insanely scary.

Level 12: Fear
    Level 13: Fear
    Level 14: Fear
    Level 15: Stats
    Level 16: Darkness

Blah-blah-blah if you got this far whilst not dying and getting the items I told you, you should own beyond comprehension.

Levels 17-25
    Levels 17-25: Stats all the way man!

The game should be ending and you should be owning.

I hope you had lots of fun getting here, great ownage lays down on your path here, with Burize, Battlefury, Treads you will just own, especially with other items like Satanic, Skadi, Basher. Just remember that Night Stalker is one of the most fearsome heroes in the game to casters, and they will normally run from you asap when they see you late game. He is probably the 2nd best hero vs Casters, second only to AM.

If you still fail to do well with Balanar,dont blame the guide because it works perfectly for me even against pro's.Its not necessary for you to follow EXACTLY the item build or skill build,but all the items which I think would suit balanar the best have been listed there and those are the proper builds,but if you see it not fitting you or the situation you're facing,try alternating between the items to see what sort of situation you need to counter.Thats all from me.Happy to be of service to this forum and goodluck and have fun!

With regards,
    saint

This guide was originally made is for 5.84c, don't be suprised if any of the contents are similar to 5.84c strategies. However, updates will be made
    Last edited by saint; 11-23-2006 at 11:36 PM.

Lurker
    Last Online
    08-16-2009 @ 05:08 AM
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which version is this tutorial for?

Reputation Reputation
    Last Online
    06-06-2010 @ 10:40 AM
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5.84c only..Well,two of my guides are stickied in the previous GzP forum.So I had save all my guides in my computer after writing them.Thank god.I did edit this guide though.So,good luck with it!feel free to criticise it too!

Lurker
    Last Online
    03-02-2006 @ 03:55 AM
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    u have a guide for 6.26? ^^:D

Last Online
    12-14-2008 @ 04:13 AM
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice guide!
    Thanks

Reputation Reputation
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well,I dont have a guide for 6.26,but you could actually use this build for 6.26,I dont see why not..BUT,leave the MoM out of the picture if its for 6.26.

no problem sptham30,always glad to help ^_^

Last Online
    07-26-2006 @ 02:36 AM
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: A Guide to Balanar,The Night Stalker

wow cool , i wonder if its better to get a butterfly too . . that wud be insanely fast

Reputation Reputation
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

getting butterfly?well,any hero getting a butterfly wouldnt be a bad thing,but the only question that is raised here,is,should you get butterfly first or other items with suit him better?does butterfly suit balanar better or other items?think for the answer,and you'll have your answer whether should you buy butterfly..

Last Online
    12-08-2012 @ 11:40 AM
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5.84c? Get morphling to steal your ultimate :p

Reputation Reputation
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LMAO!that would be like night forever..AHHA!plus,it doesnt require mana.. XD
    never thought of that..but that morphling has to be a friend,otherwise,most wouldnt co-operate..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast