Dismiss Notice
Want to Shorten Your Long URL? Check out our sister website Tiniurl to solve your needs!

Darkterror, the Faceless Void Guide

Discussion in 'Scourge Heroes Guides' started by KingLiche, Sep 15, 2006.

1. KingLiche

KingLiche Registered User

V.99: I have to add screenshots, I am too busy at the moment, I'll add some screenshots later.
    Darkterror, The Faceless Void
    By KingLiche (aka Liche-)

[​IMG]
    "How can this old one help?"
    He talks like Akama...but from what mouth...

Table of Contents
    I. Information
    II. Introduction
    III. Skill Information
    IV. Item Information
    V. Strategy
    a. Levels 1-6
    b. Levels 7-14
    c. Levels 15-20
    d. Levels 21-25
    VI. Supporters of Darkterror
    VII. Counters to Darkterror
    VIII. Notes
    IX. Replays
    X. End Notes and Thanks

I. Information

This is one of my first guides on this site, please be critical and post feedback. This is an alternative way to play the extremely versatile hero, Darkterror. Most people will go Mask of Madness, thinking that they'll win no matter what heroes. Unfortunately, there are many counters to this cookie-cutter, such as Blademails/Return, simple notice of a Void missing. This guide will focus around the power of Manta Style and Chronosphere, and the synergy between the two. Now, let's get started, shall we? Let's establish something first.
    What we will NOT do:
    • Get Mask of Madness
    • Get Bashers
    • Mass any type of IAS items (except for one Hand of Midas)
    • Buy pure damage items
    What we WILL do
    • Use Images to our advantage
    • Get criticals to benefit our images
    • Pump our agility up to benefit images
    • NOT get Mask of Madness
    Yep.

II. Introduction
    [​IMG]

Damage: 44 - 50 HP: 473 Mana: 195
    HP Regen: 0.76 Mana Regen: 0.61
    Attack Speed: 1.34 (+ 21% IAS) Armor: 4

As you can see, his Agility is not as outstanding as other heroes, but is still very decent. His strength build is also pretty high for an agility hero, making him an outstanding survivor/damage dealer.

III. Skill Information

[​IMG] Time Walk
    Quickly moves to a target location and slows the movement and attack of all units at the end of its path for 3 seconds.

Level 1 - 700 cast range. 10% slow. 12 second cooldown.
    Level 2 - 900 cast range. 20% slow. 12 second cooldown.
    Level 3 - 1100 cast range. 30% slow. 10 second cooldown.
    Level 4 - 1300 cast range. 40% slow. 10 second cooldown.
    Your basic "blink" skill with some other effects. This is an extremely great skill to start a fight, to do during a fight, or to escape. At level 4, 40% slow is not something to laugh at. It also has sick range (1300).

[​IMG] Backtrack
    Whenever damage is received, Faceless Void moves a moment back in time to try to dodge that damage. Can backtrack both physical and magical attacks.

Level 1 - 10% chance.
    Level 2 - 15% chance.
    Level 3 - 20% chance.
    Level 4 - 25% chance.
    It's like evasion, but better. It stacks with Butterfly's Evasion, but not additively, but with diminishing results. With Butterfly, you have around 40'ish physical attack evasion.

[​IMG] Time Lock
    Gives a chance that an attack will do bonus damage and lock a unit in time for 1 second.

Level 1 - 10% chance per attack.
    Level 2 - 15% chance per attack.
    Level 3 - 20% chance per attack.
    Level 4 - 25% chance per attack.
    Your basic bash.

[​IMG] Chronosphere
    Faceless Void creates a rip in spacetime causing all units in that area to become trapped for its duration. Faceless Void has a mysterious connection with spacetime that causes him to be unaffected by the sphere. Casting range increases per level. 120 second cooldown.

Level 1 - 3 Seconds.
    Level 2 - 4.5 Seconds.
    Level 3 - 6 Seconds.
    One of the best ultimates in the game. 6 seconds of free attack, and with images, a very feared ultimate. Some people misuse Chronosphere, and use it to run or escape. However, that is NOT RIGHT. Time Walk only has a 10 second cooldown at level 4, meaning you just have to juke and evade until you have Time Walk. Every time you use Chronosphere, it's recommended to get at least one kill.

IV. Item Information
    Hand of Midas - 2010 gold
    [​IMG]
    +35% IAS
    Activated (75 mana, 100 sec cooldown): Transmute (convert max level 5 creep into gold, 600 range)

Boots of Travel - 2700 gold (Optional to rush it, advised to get after Crystalys)
    [​IMG]
    +90 IMS
    Activated (75 mana, 60 sec cooldown): Teleport to a target friendly non-hero unit or building (4 sec casting time)

Manta Style - 5500 gold (Rush it after Hand of Midas)
    [​IMG]
    +18 Agility
    +6 Intelligence
    +250 HP
    Orb Effect: Feedback (36 mana to all units)
    Activated (165 mana, 70 sec cooldown): Create 2 Mirror images for 20 seconds, deal 40% damage & take 300% damage

The Butterfly - 5950
    [​IMG]
    +25 Agility
    +25 Damage
    +25% IAS
    25% Evasion

Crystalys - 2350 (Get two of these if you're having trouble farming [I advise getting 2, because images dont benefit from Buriza's damage increase, much more cost efficient], or later on turn it into a Buriza)
    [​IMG]
    +35 Damage
    Effect: Critical Strike (10%, 1.75x)

Black King Bar - 3800
    [​IMG]
    +10 Strength
    +18 Damage
    Activated (150 mana, 100 sec cooldown): 10 sec Avatar (magic-immune)

[22310 gold]

That's the item build. Rushing Hand of Midas guarantee's you a creep every 100 seconds, and helps your farming and up's your IAS by a bit. Boots of Travel doesn't need a explanation. Manta Style is the bread-and-butter item of this skill build, and nearly all the other items increase its effectiveness. The Butterfly is a GREAT item on Void, giving him everything, EVERYTHING he needs.
    Why this build? Well, people usually go Mask of Madness and some Bashers, but that won't help you in team battles. All they have to do is focus on you. And why get Bashers when Chronosphere is already 6 seconds of free-attack? Although you may say "so that I can kill stuff without Chrono", that makes no sense. Chrono is awesome for team battles, and Manta combined with these items can help your team much better than a couple of silly Bashers. Let's get into the strategy, shall we?

V. Strategy
    a. Levels 1-6
    Ring of Regeneration
    Ring of Regeneration
    At the start of the game, assuming it's an -ap, buy one Ring of Regeneration. Try to lane with an ally, and if you do, when he goes to heal ask him for control and buy another RoR. He has no need for a Sobi Mask, so don't be stupid...remember, Void has pretty good damage, so try hitting the creep when he's a bit higher than a dot of red health. Keep up the farming, and try not to get nuked. You can see if someone is going to nuke you if they start approaching you, but if their decent and have a wave-like nuke (Carrion Swarm, Dragon Slave), they'll know how to aim it so that you get hit, even when they don't move.

b. Levels 7-14
    Gloves of Haste -> Hand of Midas
    Boots of Speed
    Diffusal Blade
    Do your farming thing, and remember, if you're getting your ass denied off, you can always get some neutral creeps if your creeps are approaching an enemy tower. Once you have Level 2 Chronosphere, and your Hand of Midas, you can start dealing some damage to low hp/no escape heroes. Try bringing a ranged hero with you, to also deal damage while you Chronosphere. Always try last hitting the heroes, seeing how Void is very item-dependent and needs his $$$. Once you have your Diffusal Blade, you can start hunting heroes down while farming, especially Intelligence heroes who are susceptible to Feedback. Basically, start off with a couple of hits, and once the first Bash occurs and they can't run, Chronosphere to trap them. Pummel them down with regular hits, and use Time Walk once they escape. Remember, Time Walk need's to be done AHEAD of them, kind of like Hook. If you just click on them, you'll end up behind the running hero, instead of ahead and blocking them.

c. 15-20
    Vitality Booster -> Manta Style
    Eaglehorn
    Here's where you go on killing spree's and getting multikills. Once you see 2-3 heroes pushing in a lane, ask your teammates to get ready to jump into action.
    RULE OF THUMB: CAST CHRONOSPHERE AFTER USING MANTA STYLE AND THEN MANUAL MOVE YOUR ORIGINAL!
    If you use Manta Style, then Chronosphere, and group-attack command a hero, your original will stand still after casting Chronosphere for another 2 seconds, severely reducing effectiveness. Right after using Chronosphere, press F1 and right-click on the enemy. MAKE SURE YOU DO THAT.

d. 21-25
    Quarterstaff -> The Butterfly
    Crystalys/2x/Buriza do-Kyanon
    Basically, go on a hero killing rampage, and try to go for Roshan, or something with allies. Basically end the game.

IV. Supporters of Darkterror
    [​IMG]
    Shadow Shaman is a godlike disabler, and has Shackles. 4.75 seconds of even more free attack is something to not laugh about. And if Rhasta is not a moron, you can easily set up Wards and Chronosphere so that the Wards also can attack.

[​IMG]
    Ogre Magi is another slower/stunner, and basically all slowers/stunners are good with Void, so that Void can get in more hits and probably a Bash.

[​IMG]
    Yes, the Fatass is also a good ally. 20% slow, 3 second disable, and a Hook incase the enemy runs away? Good stuff. You can also block the hero by running in front of him when he Dismember's.

VII. Counters to Darkterror
    Sadly, like all other heroes, Darkterror has some counter's that especially hurt.

[​IMG]
    This god damn disabler has a heavy damage nuke, so many disables, and can easily nuke Darkterror before he can deal his damage. Be wary of this hero, don't try going for him straight unless you have Chronosphere or an allied disabler with you.

[​IMG]
    Disable me more please! He basically can keep Nightmaring you until allies come, jack 300 HP off you, and reduce your damage by a staggering 80%! Never fight him without Chronosphere, and right when Chronosphere is over, it's advisable to run.

[​IMG]
    The simple fact that he can slow/steal attack speed/movement speed, and how Borrowed Time activates even when in Chronosphere, and how attacking him heals him is sort of self-explanatory.

[​IMG]
    Drunken Haze = 75% miss. Battlemastery is 20% evasion = 95% chance for you to miss. 'Nuff said.

VIII. Notes
    There are some screenshots that can explain things, and here they are.

IX. Replays
    Check the attachments. NOTE: I forgot what version this replay was, If you want to view it, you must have the correct version.

X. End Notes and Thanks
    Well, thanks for reading this guide. I couldn't have done it without the greatest clan in the world, and they know who they are. Thanks to IceFrog for enable Manta + Chrono to work in the new versions again. Good luck in using Darkterror, and know that their are many other builds to Void, but I prefer this one because of the slight micro that you need, and how it helps your teammates first. See ya. Rep me if you find it useful. Contact me on AIM @ EmperorLiche, or on USEast, Liche-.
    Yarly.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  2. saint

saint Former Staff Member Former Staff

Stickied. Fine job. It's even better than my guide. And more thing, the scourge section seems to have more stickied guides than the sentinel section. Maybe balance up things a little?

3. DevoX

DevoX Registered User

why Hand of Midas and boots of travel?
    Normaly i'll go for Power treads and btw Power treads is now stronger since v6.367 and why boots of travel?For teleport?But He already have timewalk so i'll will go for power treads to increase the bash rate and movement speed.This is just my opinion only.

4. saint

Timestopper is a hero which you can harrass greatly. Though with timewalk and chronosphere, he lacks the skills which early game heroes need. That brings you to harder farm. You might say take last hit creeps, but that's awfully hard to do with him.

With hand of midas, you'll be able to guarantee a creep which is yours every 100 second. Since you already have IAS improved, get the boots of travel to to improve your walking speed. But the gist of the idea is to teleport from lane to lane. You might not notice it, but teleporting from lane to lane gives you a better farming ability. Getting a power threads might be cheaper, but with the build you use in this guide, you have better IAS and better movement speed. With the IAS you have with Midas, you'll have a better chance of bashing.

5. DevoX

DevoX Registered User

But Boots of travel cost 270000 Gold! That is ex!
    I will buy hand of midas maybe in v6.36b cuz the attacking speed is fast.

Why donnt you just buy MASK OF MADNESS?
    It increase attacking speed and movement speed and it cost cheap.

What about the 20% take in damage?
    Look when you are using Chronosphere the enemy cant hit you and btweven if the Chronosphere is over i bet the enemy hp is red colour or yellow colour already and they will choose to run instead to fight you 1 on 1. Well This is just my opinion only.So dont flame me.
    -MuZu

6. saint

Mask of Madness only lasts for awhile. I did rather save up for Butterfly. Besides, with Midas, provides better farming. With Mask of Madness, you're basically trying to aim for hero kills when you're not "really" ready to do that.

I understand Boots of Travels might be expensive, that's why you could choose to get it after your butterfly. Besides, Hand of Midas would definitely help you in farming out those items.

And with chronosphere, and mask of madness, I doubt the enemy's life would be in red or even half. You don't have enough damage buff.

7. KingLiche

Next up is a Sentinel hero then -.-. And I loathe guides that go for plain hero kills, hey guys, let's go running around the map looking for heroes! YAH LETS IGNORE 5 MID! /sarcasm. Bah, I normally wouldn't get Boots of Travel and usually would've gotten SnY, BUT, since SnY overrides Feedback on every hit, that's something I won't risk. And Sange and Yasha costs 5k, and Boots of Travel 2.7k, not 270k. Lol.

8. saint

Scorpion has been really inactive for the past few months. I was planning on requesting him for an Ursa Warrior guide. Anyway, good job on your guide.

9. DevoX

DevoX Registered User

Manta Style is good for faceless void.I will always go for that for sure.

25% BASH+

25% BASH+

25% BASH+

ByeBye

10. chiuenyu

chiuenyu Registered User

I usually go for dark terror is ( in 5v5 -ap ):-
    • Ring of regeneration
    • Flask of water something
    At the early game
    Then mid i'll go for :-
    • Boots of speed
    • Sacred relic
    • Demon Edge
    • Complete power threads
    • Plate Mail
    • I'll sell the RoR if needed.
    Late game :-
    • Complete Aegis of Immortal
    • Complete Divine Rapier
    • Get Mask Of Madness/Hyperstone.
    Game not yet end? Then i'll go for manta style

I usually go something like this when i'm using Darkterror.

11. poco_loco

poco_loco Registered User

please stop with the white color fonts, I'm a default skin user... why don't you consider the fonts like in my guide where all skins are acceptable

12. chiuenyu

chiuenyu Registered User

Sorry popo_loco, but i disagree. I prefer with white font because they are easier to read. I rather read a guide with read-able than a guide which a colourfull and non-read-able.
    To me, i rather KingLiche stick with this.

13. poco_loco

poco_loco Registered User

Your backtrack and timelock descritions got mixed

14. DevoX

DevoX Registered User

Akama? Bounty hunteR?
    LOL@!!!!! Maybe he is too tried already.

15. KingLiche

Oh crap you're right. I must fix Timelock/Backtrack >_> MoM ain't exactly a team friendly item...
    If you've finished both the RoC and TFT campaigns, you would know who Akama is -_- And yes, Void has his soundset.
    Bah...anyone can own by rushing Rapier/Aegis...this build actually gives you some measure of fun...and I'm still too lazy for screenshots >_< Must do it when I didn't just wake up.

16. DevoX

DevoX Registered User

Any picture?isnt akama is the bounty hunter model?
    In world editor in the model there,search for Akama and you see.

17. KingLiche

Yes, Bounty Hunter's model is Akama. Back to topic...
    I've just tried Mask of Madness. It was amazingly useless. Without any bashers or damage buff's for that matter, I usually had to chase after them past a couple towers even WITH Chronosphere. I only see Mask of Madness being useful coupled with 2 Bashers.

18. saint

See what I mean now?

19. DevoX

DevoX Registered User

But for me i found mask of madness usefull this is my built/choice you cant stop me from buying mask of madness.

When?I cant wait man.

20. saint

Who's stopping you? Don't talk to yourself man.