1. Hi, Guest,

Currently we have three official hacks running. CSGO, Battlefield Hardline and Audition America. Be sure to check them out!

CSGO - "50 Shades of Gaben" - CSGO Cheat

Battlefield Hardline Cheat - FREE

Audition Redbana Hack [ARH Modz]

More to Come!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
CSGO VIP Cheats now available!! Click here to get a copy!
Dismiss Notice
Want to Shorten Your Long URL? Check out our sister website Tiniurl to solve your needs!

Is My internet Speed 12 Mb or only 2 Mb?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by FelDer, Jan 25, 2011.

1. FelDer

FelDer

there was a topic that closed now, so I just made new one,
    It said to go to the:
    http://www.speedtest.net/
    to find out what is your Internet Speed.

My problem is that I dont understand it...it says for me that:

DOWNLOA D : 5.1Mb/s
    UPLOAD: 3.5Mb/s
    PING 34ms

and which one is saying what MB is my speed test? Do I have my 12mb speed that I'm paying for?

Thanks.

2. karchuin

karchuin

Did you try to speed test the server nearest to your location?
    Internet speed can be slower either because of:
    1) Server location
    2) Server load
    And other sort of stuff, including ISP speed limit.

3. Legify

Legify Retired Staff Member

It should be around right, considering that the speed is affected by other things, such as your computer/CPU speed, Disk Space, number of simultaneous connections, etc etc.

4. qq123plz

qq123plz

i've never heard of disk space affecting internet connection speed =O

alright, anyways, threadstarter, go to 192.168.0.1 and tell us whats your downstream and upstream.

remember that your real speed is gonna be different from the advertised speed, its about a 10-30% difference of loss (aka sync, aka overhead) depending on how far away the servers are and what type of coiling/type of connection, eg FiOS or cable, ADSL, etc.

so 12 mb/s minus a 10-30% difference should be around 8-10 = your real speed, 5 seems kinda low...are you on wireless or wired connection? any other users in your network? try again multiple times throughout the day, see if it's cuz of the traffic.

select a server nearest to you on speedtest

5. 5050death

5050death

no you do not have the 12 mb speed you are paying for, unless you are downloading something at the moment. also, people often misconceive 12 mb to be 12 megabytes/second. it is actually 12 megabits, which is roughly 1-2 Megabytes per second. so when you are downloading something off the internet from a dedicated server, 1-2megabytes is what you should be expecting.

6. ROFLrobert

ROFLrobert

Whut? Didn't really understand any of that. It depends where you download it from.

Also, you download 1-2MB/s, dude that's sad.

Edit: So as I was saying, Download speed varies from the server location and how much the server is giving you. Let's say, I tested my speed at the closest server located on SpeedTest. I get 25Mb/s download, and 1Mb/s upload. If I download anything from a server near me, I basically download at that rate. Also, depends what the server's giving you. Some servers/file host sites you download at their capped speed, because you don't have a prem-membership.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  7. Legify

If you don't have enough disk space, windows (heh) will gradually reduce the speed that the hard disk runs at (unless you are using a SSD, which I highly doubt) to preserve information. Other things that affect it may include the amount of space allocated for the browser on the l2 cache, or the amount of RAM you have.

8. karchuin

karchuin

How is that?

9. Legify

It's how windows is programmed. I'm not exactly sure, but they definitely do affect your internet loading speeds.

10. koR9194

koR9194

Yes, this is a common misconception. You are paying for 12 mbps, i.e 12 Megabits per second. What speedtest recorded was your download speed in MegaBytes. One megabyte is approximately 8 megabits. I won't get into the technicalities but you can read all about it over the net.

As for your internet speeds .. In this day and age 5.1 Megabytes/second is very respectable for a residential user. I know the FiOS is my area offers 50mbps[megabits per second] as its premium package which is ~6.5 MB/s.

P.S there is a yellow button on the top left hand side of the SpeedTest website labeled settings, which allows you to change Time Zone, units, preferred server, etc

1 person likes this.
  11. karchuin

karchuin

Problem is, some ISPs don't say if it's megabits or megabytes.

12. koR9194

koR9194

The major ISPs advertise in mbps, making it advantageous to others to post in mbps at risk of seemingly selling an inferior product. So logically all ISPs would advertise in mbps.

Anyway, in my area, i'm verifying that FiOS and XFinity(comcast) have a maximum residential speed of 50 mbps for similar prices.

13. karchuin

karchuin

I've heard Korea have 1 Gbps internet speeds.

14. koR9194

koR9194

That sounds very interesting. I've heard that Google has been dabbing into gigabit connections but that was a year ago and I haven't heard about it since.

15. karchuin

karchuin

1 Gbps, as I imagine it would be freaking expensive though.

16. rhymhey12

rhymhey12

Those countries are leading at technology so no surprise.