1. Hi, Guest,

Currently we have three official hacks running. CSGO, Battlefield Hardline and Audition America. Be sure to check them out!

CSGO - "50 Shades of Gaben" - CSGO Cheat

Battlefield Hardline Cheat - FREE

Audition Redbana Hack [ARH Modz]

More to Come!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
CSGO VIP Cheats now available!! Click here to get a copy!
Dismiss Notice
Want to Shorten Your Long URL? Check out our sister website Tiniurl to solve your needs!

Running Games in a Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by LCS, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LCS

LCS

Has anyone successfully run a DirectX game with full 3D graphics acceleration under Windows inside a virtual machine? The thing is games like GunZ and MapleStory install applications to prevent cheating. I have a gut feeling that this has something to do with messing with my system files (because apparently, GunZ does not run without administrator privleges). Therefore, I want to isolate these "trouble" applications inside a virtual machine along with my legacy applications, etc.

There are a lot of choices. I'm aware of only a few of them, and I really don't want to go through the hassle of testing if 3D acceleration is "inherited" by the virtual machine.

2. Master Penguin

Master Penguin

MapleStory on Ubuntu! - Onrpg Free MMORPG Forums

This guy ran maplestory from within an ubuntu machine. It only took adding a few lines of code to enable 3d capabilities. So i guess it's possible.

EDIT: if you're thinking of running the vmachine from within windows, then it's a lot easier, you can skip half of what those people are talking about.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  3. LobBob

LobBob Retired Staff Member

GameGuard messed up your system ?

4. LCS

LCS

It's just a gut feeling. I don't like my system files being messed with, or any low level processes being modified for that matter.

5. x1nixmzeng

x1nixmzeng GzP Underground GzP Underground

Most likely the VM fails to virtualize your graphics card.

6. LobBob

Did you try Uninstalling your Games that uses GameGuard to see if GameGuard is actually the problem ?

Closed.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  7. LCS

LCS

I simply don't want GameGuard touching the internals of my system at all regardless of it's stability/security. …and I'll wait until VMWare is mature enough to support my video card's full capabilities. It's beta right now.

8. LobBob

Are you sure GameGuards the one that is actually the one causing all the problems.. etc ?

9. Citizin

Citizin Retired Staff Member

Well, to answer your question about Virtualization and 3d compatibility, last time I checked, it's not possible, VMware uses a software rendered output, so it never touches the video card.

So it's not possible, as far as I know, and I worked a lot with Virtual Machines.

10. LCS

LCS

That's disappointing. =\ I'm still hoping that VMWare is working on it. The website and other forums strongly hinted at the need for a video card to make 3-D acceleration in a VMWare virtual machine work.

11. Citizin

Maybe it could be possible if you installed a second video card, one to power your main system, and one to power your VM, but there would be major VM config files that would need to be changed for that virtual machine, it's worth a shot though, what has me thinking it wont work is that you can't change that kind of hardware like you can mounting cd rom drives, or adding a harddrive.

Good luck, and let me know if you make any progress with the second video card idea.

12. LCS

LCS

I'm a very conservative spender (in contrast to my ability to afford the top class cards). This thread will probably be in the graveyard before I actually pay money to buy another one.

Anyhow, where'd you get the idea that two video cards would be required?

13. Citizin

Actually it's a theory I just came up with, I figure if one video card is already in use it can't be used in another machine at the same time, so if you install another one that is NOT detected by your main machine, with the right config files changed for the VM, it might pick your second one up as new hardware.

You would need to disable the VM SVGA adapter, or just VGA, whatever one it is.

14. Master Penguin

Master Penguin

Well since i was bored and I have a VMware XP image on hand, i went ahead and installed Maplestory on it. And guess what? It works! So i don't know why you guys think it doesn't do 3d rendering.

[​IMG]

I did testing for dx7,8,9 all fine.

The game played flawless as well:

[​IMG]

There was a catch though. If i waited a while after i started the VM, then started the game, nProtect would give me a "hack detected message," because apparently VM's are hack tools now. But if you fire up MS right upon logging into XP, the game would start and play normally.

15. LCS

LCS

How was the performance? Have you tried something more intensive?

So much for editing the virtual machine's memory…

16. rz123456789

rz123456789

actually it is, go to this link(IT WORKS) http://www.gamerzplanet.net/forums/...ing-vista-vmware-also-means-2x-maple-1pc.html

17. Citizin

As I said, last time I used Vmware it didn't work, and it seems like they updates there SVGA driver anyway, so as seen it does work with Maplestory, but any DirectX 9/10 Games will probably run at a unplayable framerate.

18. Master Penguin

Master Penguin

Well, maplestory ran nomal, just as I'd play it natively. I tried cs 1.6 in opengl but it's not supported, i tried it in D3d, it'd boot, but there's just a black screen but I could move the mouse and hear when it touches a menu item. It worked in software rendering, but it's shit haha.

I'm guessing it's not yet suitable for heavy games like hl1/2,cs etc.... But it might be suitable for those korean mmos with gameguard/nprotect etc...Something like gunbound and maplestory could run, but a step up from those will get you nowhere.

Then again i think i may have been constrained by CPU, cuz mines a p4E (3ghz) which i checked to be at 70C when it was emulating the VM. A faster cpu may have yielded better results.

Most likely not run at all at this moment -__- hehe..

Edit:

I got a p4e, x1950pro gfx, and 512 ram allocated to the VM. I used vm workstation 6, and haven't tried other types of virtualization programs.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.